Things To Do
Whether you want to simply relax, explore the region, or experience adventure, Dundee Beach is a perfect secluded oasis to base yourself for Top End stays.
At your fingertips is outstanding fishing, crabbing, sunsets, turtles, beaches, bird watching and reconnecting back with nature.
For those that love action and adventures we offer first class fishing charters, helicopter tours, fully equipped six-meter boat hire, and some of the best self-drive four-wheel drive adventure options you will find in the Top End.
Having a public boat ramp at your doorstep that is accessible with most cars and most tides makes fishing in Dundee easier than ever. Dundee Beach is a great place to target big, hard fighting sportfish such as Queenfish, GT’s Mackerel, Tuna, Sailfish and the world famous Barramundi!
Dundee Beach is also home to a large population of turtles. In fact, six out of seven species of marine turtles found in the world are found in Northern Territory (NT) waters including green, olive ridley, hawksbill, leather back, flatback and loggerhead. Many turtles including the endangered flatback turtle come ashore along Dundee Beach coastline to nest each year (generally June – August).
We can all help to strengthen the flatback turtle population, and all marine turtles by being vigilant when taking vehicles off-road. So we don’t have a negative impact on the land and help preserve this pristine environment please ensure you drive below the high tide water mark or at least 20 meters from the base of the dunes from where nests are most likely to be found.
Meet & Relax
Meet like minded travelers and holiday makers. Where every night is happy hour, and new & old friends come together to share storied of their experiences on the water, around the park, and adventures in the region.
How big did you say the one that got away was?
- Relax around the pool
- Enjoy a BBQ with friends
- Sunset drinks overlooking Dundee Beach
- Movie night under the stars
- Toast marshmallows over a campfire
- Beach walk to ‘Boss Creek’ – you may be lucky enough to spot a turtle, dolphin, dugong or even season manta ray!
Activities around the Area
- While Darwin may host the famous Mindil Beach Sunset Markets; we have our very own distinctive Dundee Beach Markets! Dundee Beach Markets are idyllically set overlooking the picturesque Fog Bay and are on every Saturday from 10am to 3pm throughout the Dry season (May – October). Expect to find the famous Dundee-licious homemade ice cream, unique & inspired by nature jewellery, the best homemade jams & pickles, unique homewares, Knick Knacks, plants & herbs, plus you can even get a manicure, pedicure of massage!
- Make an appointment to experience the amazing Dundee Beach Orchid Nursery & Garden, you will surely be amazed! This is one impressive orchid nursery with a huge range of beautiful orchids to choose from, immaculate gardens to inspire and wildlife to admire, a true hidden gem! Phone for appointment 0406537900.
Fishing and Boating
You can fish on shore from the rock wall and beaches and we have a public boat ramp right here beside the Holiday Park.
Or why not enquire with us about hiring a boat or booking a fishing charter
Sightings of Humpback Whales (singles, or small groups including calves) have increased substantially in the waters off Dundee Beach (typically between August and October) – so keep your eyes out when fishing
Other Boat Ramps:
- 6 Pack Creek: 20.5km from the park
- Bynoe: 34.5km from the park
- Finniss (fresh water): 38.2km from the park
Please be aware of tides and crocodiles!
Explore the Region
- The region has a diverse range of wildlife and habitats including monsoon forests, savannah woodlands, mangroves, wetlands and estuaries.
- Explore the area; from easy beach rambles to rocky cliff climbs and off the beaten track trails (be prepared for any walking trips with adequate water, hat, sunscreen, and ensure you have told someone of your intended trail).
- Always have your camera in hand to spot the local wallabies, northern quolls, and frilled neck lizards just to name a few.
- At night listen for the howl of the dingoes, or the eerie cry of the bush stone curlew, and in the morning keep an eye out for a croc sunbathing on the beach or cruising by the ramp.
- Four-wheel drive to the Finniss river mouth (access is through Finniss River Station land so please ensure you obey signage) where you can try landing a Barramundi!
- The Australian Defence Forces Memorial is a short drive or 4.8km walk from the Park; join us here each year for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service followed by Gunfire breakfast.
Dundee Beach is home to a vast array of unique and diverse birdlife and an expansive eco-system from coastal, savannah woodlands, mangroves and monsoon forests.
Just walking around is a bird watcher’s treat, with flocks of diverse forest parrots, wetland birds and numerous marine birds flying over.
We have a catalogue of over 80 bird species sighted in the area including the less common Grey Goshawk, Mangrove Grey Fantail, Rainbow Pitta & Star Finch. Our Bird Lists are available through our reception, and we welcome any additional bird sightings to be included.